Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cerclage story and hostpial stay

WOW where to begin!  This has been what it seem is a really long 2 weeks.  On June 28th I went into the hospital and had a double cerclage placed.  The surgery itself was wonderful.  The ansethsia(sp)doctor had to poke me 4 different times for the spinal block and then over medicated me.  I was allowed to go home later that night to rest and recover but only to wake up the next morning (friday) with severe spinal heahaches.  Being a nurse I knew they could possibly go away with lots of fluids and some caffiene and laying flat and in a dark room.  Finally Saturday they started to feel better and I started moving around walking and trying to get back to normal.  Sunday I woke up and I felt a little heavy in my chest but no mucous or any other cold symptoms whatsoever.  Monday morning I woke up and the heavy chest feeling was still there but still no other symptoms with it.  So I went on to my post op appt at 10:30 Monday morning.  I saw baby we checked the cerclage site and everything was good.  I mentioned to her about the heavy chested feeling and she decided it would be best to start antibiotics just incase even though I had no fever or other symptoms.  I then went home and was very tired I took the first dose of antibiotics and laid down.  I woke up shaking and very cold and went to the drawer and took my tempature.  It was 102 which made me nervous.  I told my mother and she got me some tylenol and some cold drinks.  I took 1 gram of tylenol and started to feel a little better fever wise but the fever never got under 100.  At the 3 hour mark my tempature was back up to 102 and another gram of tylenol was taken.  By the next round John was home and again at the 3 hour mark temp was over 102 and pulse was high and I was starting to feel really bad and struggling to breath deeply.  So we decided to call the OB and head to the hosptial to get everything evaluated.  By the time I walked into the ER my fever was over 103, pulse was 149 and I was very confused and couldn't breath well and was stating in the 80's.  I was taken to a trauma bay as they started drawling many labs and placed ice around all my body parts and pushed cold fluids and gave me another gram of tylenol.  Everything was really fuzzy after this point so I am not remembering everything and there are so many details to go over.  I was very sick and was either going to be admitted to ICU or the cardiac unit.  One of my levels didn't come out as high as they thought it would so I was admitted to the cardiac unit because my heart rate would not get lower then the 130-140 at that point and I was reacting to it.  I was told I had actelectasis in both lungs and severe pneumonia in the right lung.  Which I think is so crazy because I am telling you I had NO symptoms prior except heavy chest feeling.  I spent the next 4 days on the cardiac unit and had a horrible stay there with bad care.  I felt I could do better at home on my own and with family so after I was more stable I asked to be discharged.  After they let me go home I was still having fevers and lung issues but was on the winning end.  I was started on lung medications and antibiotics for 15 days now because I am still having low grade temps.  This is just all so crazy and unexpected and I don't know how a person goes from walking around to being in a trauma bay in a matter of hours.  Of course I was extremely worried about my poor baby this whole time but he or she was hanging on and doing well and was checked again today and was doing VERY well and growing nicely.  I will be making a seperate post on today's appt with a annoucement later =)

No comments:

Post a Comment